Home > Faq


Q: What's the best time to visit Tibet?

A: The best time to visit Tibet would be between April and Oct. if you are looking for warm and suitable weather. July and August are the rainy season so if you are doing trekking, it's better to avoid this time. However, winter may also be a good time since the cost goes down and the visibility of Everest is amazing.

Q: Is it hard to get the Tibet Travel Permit?

A: Actually, it's quite easy to get the Tibet Travel Permit. We only need your passport and Chinese visa copy if you enter Tibet from Mainland China. The permit may need about 7-10 days to process and we will either send you the soft copy to you (entering by train) or the hard copy (entering by flight).

Q: Can I use the soft copy on my phone to get on the train/flight?

A: No. If you take the train, you will need to print the papers out. If you take the flight, you will have to get the hard copy. Otherwise you will be forbidden to board on the flight/train.

Q: Can I buy the permit alone?

A: Sorry it's not legal to provide permit-only service as according to local law and regulation, the permit has to be included in a tour package (guide, car, etc.).

Q: If I book the trip with you, will you provide the invitation letter to get the Chinese visa?

A: Yes, after booking, our company will provide a supporting letter so you can show to the embassy..

Q: If I enter Tibet from Kathmandu, Nepal, can I apply for a Chinese visa in advance or should I get that done in Kathmandu maybe?

A: If you are entering Tibet from Kathmandu, either by flight or road, you HAVE TO apply for the special Chinese group visa in Kathmandu ONLY. The visa needs at least 3 working days to process. If you get a Chinese visa in advance in your home country, that visa will be cancelled after you arrive, so please DO NOT apply for any kind of visa.

Q: The group visa I get in Kathmandu, can I still use it if I plan to visit other parts of China after the Tibet trip?

A: If your plan is Nepal-Tibet-Mainland China, the special group visa you get in Kathmandu is valid for 30 days so yes you can still use it as long as the whole trip (Tibet and Mainland China) is within 30 days. And the whole group needs to enter and leave China together if you have friends/families traveling together..

Q: Is the road connecting Tibet and Nepal very unstable? I heard there are frequent landslides at that area.

A: The road condition may be influenced by the rain or weather when in rainy season (July and August). If the road is not safe, there are other options at the border (helicopter) to choose.

Q: Is Everest Base Camp closed already?

A: No, the Everest Base Camp is moved to the Rongbuk Monastery for the environment protection. It's still open to travelers and the monument is also moved to Rongbuk Monastery.

Q: Can I visit Mt. Kailash in winter?

A: We don't suggest travelers to visit Mt. Kailash in winter as the weather will be freezing and the road condition will be quite bad due to the snow as well, which makes the trekking route quite tough.

Q: Can I do the Mt. Kailash inner kora?

A: No, it's only open to local Tibetans. Foreign travelers can only do the outer kora.

Q: Can we visit the Namtso Lake in winter?

A: Yes, it would be no problem to visit Namtso Lake in winter as long as it's open. Sometimes the snow may block the road but it will be open for the most of the time.

Q: I heard there is no accommodation available by the Namtso lakeside, is it true?

A: Yes, it's true. In order to protect the environment of Namtso Lake, local government has closed all the guesthouses near the lakeside. After the visit, we will either go to Damxung or Yangpanchen to stay the night. Please do not forget to try the famous Yangpachen hot spring as well!.

Q: If I'm traveling alone, can I visit Tibet?

A: Yes, you can visit Tibet even if you are alone. You can either join in a group tour or do a private tour. Normally speaking, we will suggest you to join in a group tour to save the cost as if we do a private tour, you will need to cover all the cost (hotel, guide, car, etc.) all by yourselves.

Q: Is it easy to get high altitude sickness in Tibet?

A: First of all, we need to know that it's quite normal to have altitude sickness especially for the first few days in Tibet. Drink more water and take more rest. That's why we normally don't arrange any sightseeing activity for you on the arrival day. After arrival, we will also have tour in Lhasa city so you have more time to get acclimatized.

Q: I never do trek or hike before. Can I do this in Tibet?

A: Yes, there are many kinds of trekking/hiking routes in Tibet actually. If you never do hike before, we can arrange a relaxing or easy experience trekking around Lhasa city for you. Different from the hard trekking, the experience trekking is with low-mid difficulty level. Even children can manage this.

Q: Is there oxygen available during the trip?

A: Yes, we equip oxygen supply in our vehicle for travelers to use. Please don't worry.

Q: Is the road G318 between Chengdu and Tibet open to foreign travelers?

A: Yes, it's open to foreign travelers and we have clients doing the trip all the time. Still, if possible, please kindly avoid the rainy season (July and August) since it may influence the road condition.

Q: After I land in Tibet, is it true that the guide needs to follow my all the time?

A: No, the guide will be accompanying you when you visit attractions sites like Potala Palace, temples and monasteries. In your spare time, you can walk around, drink coffee or shop on your own.

Q: What kind of food can I get while in Tibet?

A: Mostly are Tibetan, Sichuan, Nepalese and Indian food.

Q: When will the Chengdu-Lanzhou High-speed Railway connecting Chengdu to Jiuzhai Valley be available?

As reported, it is expected to be completed by 2020..

Q: Which scenic spots have been reopened in Jiuzhai Valley?

A: Five-Color Pond, Five-Flower Lake, Nuorilang Waterfall, Long Hai, Tibetan Mystery Show, etc.

Q: Is it possible to stay overnight in Jiuzhai Valley?

A: I'm sorry to tell you that it is not possible to stay overnight within Jiuzhai Valley National Park due to excess water usage and solid waste caused by large numbers of people. In the long term it is not sustainable to open the whole of the park to overnight guests

Q: How much do Jiuzhai Valley tickets cost?

A: Ticket prices vary according to season. Peak season price is 169 CNY/person. Low season price is 80 CNY.

Q: When is the best time to visit the Giant Panda Base?

A: In general, the best time to visit pandas would be from 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.

Q: I want to see pandas. Where should I visit, Panda Keeper Program in Dujiangyan or Chengdu Panda Base? What's the difference between the 2 places?

A: Chengdu Panda Base is closer to the downtown area of the city and with more pandas than Dujiangyan Panda Base. If you do not do Panda Keeper Program, this panda base is recommended. However, if you want to do the Panda Keeper Program, you need to go to Dujiangyan or Wolong Panda Center.

Q: Recommend somewhere we can watch snow in Sichuan please?

A: In Sichuan, it seldom snows in winter except for a few places with high elevations. Among them, the snow scene of Jiuzhai Valley, Siguniang Mountain, Mt. Emei, Bipeng Valley, Dagu glacier are great!

Ask a Quick Question


China Adventure